Your browser does not support script
Dayton, TN SealCity of Dayton, TennesseeDayton, TN Seal

menu spacer

Dayton City Court

Andrew Tucker, City Judge
Brandi R. McSpadden, Court Clerk

P.O. Box 226, 399 1st Avenue
Dayton, TN 37321
Phone: (423)775-1817    •    Fax: (423)775-8404

Accepting payments in office or over the phone by calling 423-775-1817 (during normal business hours)(fees apply).

City Court Rules/Dress Code

Our Judge requires you dress respectfully when appearing in City Court.  Shorts, halter tops, t-strap tops, tank tops, hats, sagging or low riding pants, torn clothing, mini-skirts, and shirts with inappropriate language are not permitted.  No exposed midriffs or exposed underwear.  Food and drink are also not permitted in the Courtroom.  Our Judge also asks you refrain from chewing gum when appearing before the bench.  Please turn off all cell phones and pagers.

Thank you!

Public Notice: Americans with Disabilities Act



When is my Court date, what time is Court, and where is Court?
Your Court date, time to appear, and location is located at the bottom of your citation. City Court is located at City Hall/Municipal Building and General Sessions/Juvenile is located at the Courthouse.

Can I reschedule my Court date?
Only medical or emergency situations will be considered for rescheduling. To reschedule your Court date contact the Court Clerk at City Hall (423)775-1817 during business hours to request a new Court date. This request shall be made in ample amount of time before the scheduled Court date. The Court Clerk will then review the request according to the situation/circumstances before approving and/or denying the request. However, if a reschedule is granted no further reschedules will be allowed.

Do I need to appear in Court or can I pay the citation before the scheduled Court date?
You can satisfy/pay costs for your citation prior to your Court date, only if your violation is not a MUST APPEAR violation. For all MUST APPEAR violations, the violator must appear before the Judge on the set Court date. Failure to satisfy/pay your citation, and/or appear in Court will cause a failure to appear/pay to be issued to the Tennessee Department of Safety which could result in the suspension of your driver's license, as well as result in additional costs. Due Care, Leaving the scene of an accident, Speeding 26 or more miles over the posted limit, Drag racing, and Texting while driving MUST APPEAR IN COURT. Also if you are cited at fault in an accident you must appear in Court and bring a letter from your insurance stating that they have taken care of or will take care of the damages to the other vehicle (s), person(s), or property.

What happens if I missed my court date and did not pay my citation prior to court?
If you failed to appear in court or pay your citation prior to court you will need to contact our office for the amount of the citation. Failure to pay fines results in additional fines and may result in the suspension of your driver's license.

Light Law/Registration/Expired DL/10 Day Address Change Citations:
If you are cited for violation of light law and do not wish to come to Court you must bring the vehicle that was cited to City Hall/Municipal Building prior to your Court date. The vehicle will be checked to ensure that the light is in working order and the fine will be due at that time. If you have received a registration/expired DL/10 day address change citation and do not wish to come to Court you must bring the updated information to City Hall/Municipal Building prior to your Court date so that we may copy it. Your fine for those citations will be due at that time.

Can I go to Driving School?
Driving school must be awarded by the Judge.

How do I pay for my citation?
-Payment in person at City Hall/Municipal Building, 399 1st Avenue, Dayton, TN 37321. -Payment by mail to City of Dayton Court, P.O. Box 226, Dayton, TN 37321

Payment can be made by cash, check, money order, cashier's check, or credit/debit card (fee applies if using credit/debit card) as long as it is before your Court date. If you wish to have a receipt mailed to you please enclose a SASE with the payment otherwise a receipt will not be mailed. If you fail to appear for your Court date or fail to pay by the required time your costs/fines must be paid by cash, money order, or credit/debit card ONLY. When mailing your payment it must be received in office prior to your Court date (postmark is not accepted so make sure it is mailed in sufficient time) and include the citation number (top right corner) and name or include a copy of the citation.

What if I have a parking ticket?
If you have a parking ticket you wish to contest please call our office to schedule a court date.

What do I have to do to get an extension?
You must contact the Court Clerk to discuss an extension.

If you have any additional questions about your citation, please feel free to contact the Court Clerk office at (423)775-1817 during normal business hours.

City of Dayton (Municipal Building/City Hall) is open Monday-Friday 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 p.m. EST.